Sunday, January 24, 2016

Third Culture Family

Traveling, living, and raising my family in less industrialized countries around the world has many advantages:  we get to know countries deeply;  we (including the kids) are tolerant of the "other";  I have friends all over the world; and we are easy going and flexible (I think!).

I do however miss out on things.  I became aware of this at 18, when, as a third culture kid, I moved "home" to live in USA for the first time as a young adult attending university.  I am aware of it now, as I explore the city of Melbourne in Australia (the first heavily industrialized country we've travelled to on our Big Trip).

The beautiful and clean city of Melbourne

The big cities are incredibly clean in "first world" countries.

St. Kilda's extraordinary clean city beach

People make space and dedicate resources for art and sports.

Maya in front of Eureka Tower, with it's installation of The Bees

Mira watching a street performer along the Yarra River in downtown Melbourne

The venue for the Australian Open Tennis Tournament in downtown Melbourne

There are other things too, which I sorely miss in my "normal" life in less-industrialized countries:  organic foods, multi-cultural restaurants, grocery stores with an international range of reasonably-priced ingredients and produce, city planning, functional public transportation, and many friends and family.

At the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne, with Megan, friend of over 20 years

There are pluses and minuses where ever we choose to live...

Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment