Sunday, January 10, 2016

Six Month Reflection

We are about half way through our Big Trip.  We've been on the road for six months.  We travelled in 10 countries in Asia, including Thailand, Laos, Indonesia, Palau, Singapore, India, Bhutan, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

I left Asia on Friday, taking a small detour from our Big Trip.  Despite short daylight hours and freezing temperatures (-11 C / 10 F), I couldn't refuse a quick work trip to Finland for a consultancy on women's rights and peace (my two passions!).  Rob and the girls are departing Asia on Tuesday, heading to Australia, where we will rendezvous on Saturday.  After a month in Oz, we continue our journey eastward towards the Americas (see map for planned itinerary).

Now that Asia is already behind me, it's a little odd to think that I won't be (easily) having noodle soup for breakfast any more...

I also find myself reflecting on our trip thus far.  A lot of people have asked me what my favorite part of the trip has been, or which country I liked best - questions I find impossible to answer!  Every part of the trip has been magical in its own way.  Some parts were very exotic.  Some parts were really fun.  Some parts were rich because we shared them with specific people (old friends, family, even new friends).  Some parts were adventurous and daring and exciting.  Some parts were hilarious.  How can I compare and rank the wonders we have seen and experienced?!?!

Alaronis on June 28, 2015, in Thailand

People have also asked me if I'm tired of traveling.  In all honesty, I'm not!  We are in a rhythm now, with our routines of packing and unpacking, and knowing our respective roles when we get to hotels or airports or train stations.  We plan slow days in which we only have one short thing planned for the day.  We plan free mornings or whole days in which we have no plans other than catching up on school work and trip planning, or hanging out reading, or playing games, or messaging with family and friends.  And we have periodic rest stops, typically at houses, in which we have a week or more in which we don't tour or move around.  We haven't been "on vacation" for six months - we have been traveling (the difference between the two is the pace).

Alaronis on December 28, 2015, in Cambodia

It has been an amazing journey so far.  We have learned a lot about the world and each other.  I am so looking forward to the adventure of the next six months!!!

Nadia


No comments:

Post a Comment