Thursday, January 7, 2016

Living in a World Without Sun

Sweat dripped down my forehead as I hunched even further down, doing my best to keep my head from hitting the low ceilings. It was stuffy, and it was hot. I don't know how people survived living in the tunnels for so long. There was no room for me to move around, in fact, there was barely enough room for my shoulders to squeeze through. The tunnels were made by Vietnamese soldiers during the American war. They used no machines, and yet they still managed to create a complicated tunnel system expanding over almost 2000 meters. There are three levels, ranging from 3 meters to about 10 meters underground. As I walked through the tunnels, my back scraped the ceiling continuously. I can't imagine what it would have been like before people enlarged the tunnels for tourists. The lights flicker, and when there is a turn the lights almost completely disappear. Luckily, when we went down lightbulbs had been put into the tunnels, but during the war, candles were the main light source. What would it have been like at the time? Did the tunnels shake when bombs landed nearby? Could they hear tanks thundering overhead? What could it have been like, to live for so long in a world with no sun?

- Maya
 Entrance to tunnel

 American tank

One of the tunnels (enlarged for tourists!)

No comments:

Post a Comment