Sunday, September 6, 2015

Warrior Princesses

As you know, I'm a bit of a feminist and somewhat into women's rights.  I think about this often as I raise my two daughters, especially as they get older and especially when we're in places in which women have many fewer rights than men - and Bali is no exception.

It isn't obvious, but women in Bali are second-class citizens.  While it is a Hindu society, traditionally, it is not unlike places of other religions, whether Christianity or Buddhism or Judaism or Islam.  Traditionally, wives are raised to serve their husbands needs before all else.  Traditionally, sons are much more treasured or prized than daughters.  Traditionally, men eat first and women eat later.  Sons are given meat and daughters eat meat only if there is enough.  Traditionally, men are allowed as many wives as they want - so long as the first wife approves, at least in theory.

My daughters continually surprise me.  They have confidence.  They are adventurous.  They try new things with gusto.  I'm impressed and amazed.  They are warrior princesses.  Who are they and how did they get that way?

I was reminded of this today, as I was reading this passage in a book both Maya and I are currently reading:

   What separates a warrior woman from the rest is her courage to push the boundaries.  It's about caring less what others expect of you and more about what you expect from yourself.  It's about being brave and living your truth, and being the best that you can possibly be.  If you expect life to be a glorious adventure then go out and create it.  It's your journey, so begin it.    Bali Hai:  A Woman's Journey (by Odyle Knight)

Nadia
 Maya, the warrior princess

Fearless Mira

No comments:

Post a Comment