Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Temple

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.  Ok, here put these on and I will wait outside" exclaimed our guide. I took my wrap from his old calloused hands and walked to the changing room.

"Eeeeeeeeek!  Oh my god, I'm so exited!"  screeched Charlotte.

I giggled.  We were going to clean ourselves. Which means that we would have no karma no bad luck nothing, we would be just like a new born baby. We got changed into the cheap purple sarongs and tied a yellow piece of fabric along our waists.  I placed my dry clothes in the back of our locker, and slipped on my flip flops. We all walked towards the door to enter the crowded room where we would become babies.

"Ok, so first you put your hands together and say oooommm oooommm oooommm 3 times, then you splash your face 3 times, after that you gargle 3 times and drink the water three times, then finally dunk your head under," the guide exclaimed. I couldn't help thinking that if a lot of people were doing this, then it was spit water.  But I just ignored that and continued listening to the guide.

"But first, we are going to give an offering" We all followed him towards the door.  I stepped through it opened up to three pools with fountains flowing from the front.

"Ok here, here, here, here, here, and here" he gave us these small square containers made out of straw with flower petals in it.  The guide gestured to sit.  We sat.   I was exited for the next 15 minutes.

"So we go one by one, you make a wish then place your offering on the table.  But first, we meditate."

I was so excited.  We all followed his directions.

"Stay completely still and completely relaxed.  Say om 3 times."  We all said om.  I could feel Jimmy next to me giggling.

"Listen to all the sounds around you."  I heard the crowd talking.  I heard people saying omm, I heard the water from the fountains hitting the water.  I heard small children splashing around.  I heard around 50 different kind of bird sounds.  I was very relaxed.

"Ok now you," said the guide, tapping my mom.  She got up and rested the offering on the table.

"Now make your wish," he said.  My mom closed her eyes for a few seconds turned around and sat down.  Then it was Denise's turn, and Maya's, and Charlottes, and Jimmy's, and mine.

We then got into the pool and followed the guide's directions.  It was a very new and fun experience. 

Mira

No comments:

Post a Comment