Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Swim in Hastings

I don't think I've ever been in such cold water. Today we went to the beach here in Hastings, New Zealand. The wind was howling, and the sun was hiding behind the puffy white clouds. Even as I walked barefoot on the wet sand, I could feel how cold the water was going to be. As soon as my toes touched the surface, my foot recoiled due to the icy cold temperature. But being the brave person I am, I ventured into the choppy Pacific Ocean. The wind howled around me, blowing sand around the beach. The sun seemed to hide behind the clouds, as if the cold was contagious. Slowly, I made my way out into the foaming white waves. I just had to do it fast, nice and easy. As a small wave came towards me, still unbroken, I took my chance, dunking my head as the wave rushed past. Never have I ever been in such icy cold water. However, despite the temperature, the swim felt good. It was exhilarating, body surfing as my arms, legs, and chest convulsed underwater. Once I was out of the water, the sun came out, and the wind quieted, praising me for daring the great icy waters of Hastings.

- Maya


No comments:

Post a Comment