Thursday, December 17, 2015

Novicane

"Thanks," I mumbled, with what felt like an enormasly swollen upper lip.
I don't usually get cavities, and this was my first in atleast six years. I first noticed it one morning when I woke up in Varkala. Suddenly, there was a large hole in one of my molars. I could have sworn that my teeth were perfectly healthy the day before. Had it just happened overnight? Well, anway, that's beside the point.
This was my second dentist appointment. The first one was just for a cleaning. My first appointment was scheduled for 9:30am Monday morning. At noon, I finally sat down in the chair, and the dentist started prodding around my mouth. At the second appointment I didn't have to wait nearly as long. I think I only waited for about an hour, which is still much longer than I would have liked. The dentist pried open my mouth, and said he was going to give me a small injection, because my cavity was too close to my gums. First I felt a sharp pain just above my holy tooth, and then the needle poked into the gum bellow the tooth. As the dentist started filling in my tooth, I realized the syringe wasn't in my gum anymore. It took ages for the feeling of a shot to leave my gum.
It's impossible to describe how I felt when I left his office. How do you describe the feeling of half your face being dead, with skin hanging off the bones? The weirdest part of it all was how lopsided I felt, and how normal I really looked. I felt like my face was incredibly swollen, but it was infact the same as it always was. It felt like the whole left side of my face was hanging down, but really only my lip was slightly lower than it would usually would have been. Getting novicane at the dentist was definately one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced. As far as I know, having a numb face is the strangest sensation in the world.

Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment