Saturday, November 7, 2015

Battered and Bruised in Varkala India


Everyone has heard the saying "you can't teach an old dog a new trick". Well whoever originally coined this term probably did so while attempting to learn surfing after turning 50. That would be my guess anyway. Wow, the sport sure is harder than it looks and it's definitely not for the faint of heart. Today was our 5th day of surf lessons on the beaches of Varkala in Kerala India and my body feels like I've been in a 15 round fight.

As I write, my shins have a couple of eggs on them from the board smashing into them, my ribs are sore, my feet are cut up from the board fins, my left elbow banged up, shoulders sore from endless paddling on the board, and toes bruised from getting slammed to the ocean floor by big waves. In spite of all this, I'm loving the new challenge. Today I was able to ride two modest waves and hope to move up to the larger and more lethal 10-12 footers in the next week (if I don't die first trying). Hopefully we'll have more chances to surf after India and as our trip continues.

We're in a laid back area of coastal, southern India and staying at the 'Surf and Soul' - a surfer hotel/guest house which is perched on a cliff and looks out over the Indian Ocean. The people working and staying here  are slightly younger than Nadia and I, say by a generation or so, and are free spirited travelers and surfers we're really enjoying spending time with. Maya and Mira seem to know everyone here and have also enjoyed the surfing and swimming. 

Every late afternoon there is yoga on the roof here and where, in addition to getting a good workout/stretch, participants get to watch beautiful sunsets over the ocean. Nadia, the kids and I are all enjoying the vibe and have decided to extend our time for another week. This will give me time to improve our surfing and give all of us time to slow down or travels a bit and enjoy this wonderful place.

Cheers Rob

 Checking out surf conditions at a beach we surf and fisherman keep their boats

 North beach where we've had several surf lessons

 Beautiful coastline, challenging surfing

 Local fishing boats

 Sunset, Varkala

Nadia chipper, Rob winded

1 comment:

  1. You two look like naturals! Have the girls take videos!

    ReplyDelete