Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Rain that Brings Summer to an End

As the sky clouds over
The rain pours harder,
Coming down in buckets,
Spilling down my living room chimney,
Days and nights at a time.

No light.
No sun.
No color.

There is nothing to do,
And nothing to say,
As roads flood behind the kitchen walls,
and water rushes and beats against the rickety door;
My roof crashes,
KABOOM!
Water gushes down the rusty stairs;
My summer dreams melting away.

But eventually,
One by one,
The droplets stop dropping
On the tarnished roof,
And the sky starts to brighten.

With the light,
The sun,
And the color,
The remaining wintery wreck, is blatant.

Another storm has passed,
Leaving behind a mess.
My broken roof unfixable,
My flooded road inaccessible,
What a place, what a place.

Even though mud dries,
and puddles evaporate,
the damage to my summer dreams,
is too great to be healed.

Imagine living on a riverbank at the start of the rainy season...

Maya

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful poem, Maya. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second that - great poem. Thanks. It's an adventure from the start! Keep on keeping on. Lisa M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya, Your desultory mood comes across, the affect weather can have on our equanimity, our inner balance. How do we keep sunshine within when it's pouring down rain without? I'm working on that one. I loved your line: "as roads flood behind the kitchen wall" - a bit of hyperbole that really conveys just how oppressive it feels. I look forward to reading future reflections. Laurie B.

    ReplyDelete